alphabeat, annie, annie lennox, anthonio, autistics, backstreet boys, bad romance, battlefield, beyonce, black eyed peas, bulletproof, cheryl cole, christian hansen, cocaine trade, david guetta, don't stop believin, dragonette, earthquake, fight for this love, fixin to thrill, freemasons, girls aloud, girls can't catch, glee, halo, happy, heartbreak make me a dancer, i gotta feelin, i'm not your toy, in for the kill, into the clouds, jordin sparks, keep your head up, kelly clarkson, kelly rowland, la roux, lady gaga, leona lewis, lily allen, little boots, love etc, meet me halfway, my life would suck without you, natalie imbruglia, new in town, paprazzi, party in the usa, pet shop boys, pick up the phone, remedy, shakira, shark in the water, she wolf, shining light, sophie ellis-bextor, straight through my heart, the fear, the sound of arrows, the spell, untouchable, vv brown, want, when love takes over
Let’s be honest, 2009 was a fantastic year for music. Here are the top 33 singles of the 2009. Note that I am not saying my favourite 33 singles as my judgement is universal and irrefutable. TRUTH!
Oh, and, as I have mentioned many times previously, pop is definitely back.
1. In For the Kill – La Roux
2. Shark in the Water – VV Brown
3. Bad Romance – Lady Gaga
4. New In Town – Little Boots
5. Happy – Leona Lewis
6. Heartbreak (Make Me a Dancer) – Freemasons feat. Sophie Ellis-Bextor
7. When Love Takes Over – David Guetta feat. Kelly Rowland
8. Fixin To Thrill – Dragonette
9. Cocaine Trade – Christian Hansen & The Autistics
10. I’m Not Your Toy – La Roux
In For The Kill is far and away the best song of the year, although I still prefer the original leaked version to the one that went on to dominate airwaves in the UK. Shark in the Water is a song that deserves so much more love than it received during its less than stellar chart run and really is amazing in every possible way. While it was supposed to be the year of Little Boots her thunder was rather stolen by the aforementioned La Roux and the explosion of Gaga, with Bad Romance being far and away her greatest track to date. A couple of Canadian entries at 8 and 9 with the indomitable Dragonette and Big Onion heroes The Autistics.
Interestingly, or not, four of the top five acts have names beginning with L. Leona Lewis was clearly hoping that by utilising a double L – and celebrity alphabet game reversing – name she would be well in for the top spot but she didn’t (x) factor in the fact that she has no personality which undoubtedly hurts her chances.
11. Fight for this Love – Cheryl Cole
12. Untouchable – Girls Aloud
13. I Gotta Feelin – Black Eyed Peas
14. The Fear – Lily Allen
15. My Life Would Suck Without You – Kelly Clarkson
16. Bulletproof – La Roux
17. Party In the USA – M***y C***s
18. Earthquake – Little Boots
19. Shining Light – Annie Lennox
20. Halo – Beyonce
21. Pick Up The Phone – Dragonette
22. Meet Me Halfway – Black Eyed Peas
Girls Aloud’s rather unfortunate single edit of the over 6 minute epic that is Untouchable is the only reason that release didn’t crack the top 10 and Lily Allen’s The Fear proved that the gobby little shit is actually a real talent that can craft a killer pop song – what’s all this talk of her retiring? Also, what the fuck happened to the Black Eyed Peas this year? I’d always sort of enjoyed them (Shut Up, etc.) on the periphery but this year they blew up with the killer I Gotta Feelin – LA HEIM! – and Meet Me Halfway. Also, Beyonce’s Halo is EPIC.
23. The Spell – Alphabeat
24. Anthonio – Annie
25. Paparazzi – Lady Gaga
26. Into The Clouds – The Sound of Arrows
27. She Wolf – Shakira
28. Remedy – Little Boots
29. Love etc. – Pet Shop Boys
30. Want – Natalie Imbruglia
31. Keep Your Head Up – Girls Can’t Catch
32. Battlefield – Jordin Sparks
33. Straight Through My Heart – Backstreet Boys
Don’t Stop Believin’ – Glee Cast
The Glee cast recording of Don’t Stop Believin’ is probably in my top 5 recordings of the year but I don’t technically consider it a single so I’m leaving it here at the bottom. Separate but better than anything from Leona down.